Expectations and Responsiblities
- Device used for school work must have a camera
- Internet access
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
St. Gabriel Online School adheres to the philosophy, mission and vision of Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools. We are Inspired by Christ and Aspire to Excellence.
Students, staff and parents are expected to behave with tolerance and understanding within a Christ centred context at all times.
Our expectations for students in St. Gabriel Online School are consistent with the Catholic philosophy of our school Division. We expect that:
- Students behave and communicate in a manner which reflects our Catholic beliefs and is respectful of all members of the school community including themselves, other students, staff, parents and guests.
- They demonstrate a willingness to learn and maintain a positive attitude. They participate fully and actively in all aspects of school life, work consistently in their courses, accept responsibility for their own learning, are diligent in the pursuit of their studies, respect timelines and stay aware of their progress.
- Students are expected to complete all assignments, tests or exams by the posted due dates. If a due date cannot be met, the student is expected to contact the teacher.
- Students communicate openly with their teachers and classmates.
Academic Probation is when students have their privileges restricted in the school. Students may be placed on Academic Probation when they consistently miss assignment deadlines, and repeated contacts by the teacher do not yield positive results. Students need to log in and/or communicate with teachers on a weekly basis and complete assignments in a timely manner. Students who do not comply with these requirements may have their online courses deactivated or be withdrawn from the course.
We will do everything in our power to help students succeed. However, if a student refuses to complete work on time, they may be asked to withdraw from the course or the school.
Our expectations for parents or guardians in St. Gabriel Online School encourage them to engage their child in learning consistent with the Catholic philosophy of our school Division. We expect that:
- Parent or Guardians are expected to be actively involved in the day-to-day education of their children. This includes monitoring student learning by checking PowerSchool on a weekly basis.
- It is through guidance that students learn a successful work ethic, self-discipline and realize success.
- Parent/Guardians are expected to make appropriate arrangements to have their students write the major exams at the indicated writing times.
St. Gabriel Online School provides efficient and effective access to the administration, certified teaching staff and professional support staff.
The staff supplies interesting instructional materials based on the approved Alberta Education curriculum. All instructional materials delivered for all courses reflect our Catholic identity.
The staff is available to students online on a daily basis according to the school calendar. This involves checking and responding to email regularly throughout the day and contacting the student or parent.
The staff mark and return assignments in a timely manner and provide personalized feedback regarding the student's academic progress as well as updating PowerSchool.
Course Outlines detail the learning outcomes and evaluation strategies for each specific course.
Curriculum Handbook for Parents
Curriculum Handbooks for Parents, Curriculum Summaries and Curriculum Express contain information for parents on subjects, programs and courses available in Alberta schools. They are updated every year as changes are made to the curriculum.