Red Deer Catholic Home Education
More options for students and their families!
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools now offers parents the option of enrolling their children in a traditional home education program or a blended home education program.
What program is right for your child? (see attached flowchart)
TRADITIONAL HOME EDUCATION PROGRAM
The traditional home education program offers a vibrant community of “families learning together" at home and in the community. All families are supported by experienced facilitators available to help parents in their child’s home education journey.
Some of the supports available for traditional home education students are:
1) Monthly newsletters used to inform families of the numerous activities and field trips available.
2) Activities organized and supported by Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools home education coordinators
- The fall musical is a 10-week program for students of all ages. The band program is available for beginning, intermediate and advanced learners.
- Monthly Collicutt activity days which include gym times and a special event such as a Penny Carnival, Craft Day, Games Day, Lego Day, Old Fashioned Field Day and Swap Meet.
3) Passwords for a variety of educational websites and current events subscriptions.
Blended Home Education Program
Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools offers blended education for parents wishing to include Alberta education curriculum in their child’s educational program.
Blended learning allows parents to combine teacher-directed subjects through St. Gabriel Learning Centre and parent-directed home education subjects with the support of home education facilitators. Families who choose blended learning can be included in home educational activities.
For a student to be part of our blended program the following requirements must be met:
You must be registered as a blended student prior to September 30.
A minimum 50% of the program must meet the Alberta Program of Studies
The following percentages will apply to the St. Gabriel School Course portion of a student’s entire program plan.
- Language Arts 30%
- Mathematics 25%
- Social Studies 15%
- Science 15%
- Physical Education 5%
- Health 5%
- Each option 5% to 10% (Up to a maximum of four options that may include Religion, Art, Drama, Music, Career and Technology Studies, Languages)
- Minimum 20% of the program must meet the Alberta Program of Studies (10 Credits)
For more information on Home Education, contact 403-314-9393.
The Alberta Education Home Education Notification Form needs to be completed to enroll in Home Education.